Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumn Begins

September 22, 2009 marks the first day of the Autumn season and the fall equinox. An equinox only occurs twice a year with sunlight and night being equal parts. Today is a day of perfect balance. So with the beginning of a new season, I bring you my favorite things of Autumn.


1. Halloween decorating. With the new season brings fall holidays, my favorite Halloween. Martha Stewart never disappoints with her holiday decor. I thought this looked like a great project for this Halloween. Seems simple, I'll let you know.






2. Hot Cocoa. It seems like the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice latte is on every one's fall list this year. Don't get me wrong it is delicious, but fall is not fall without some great hot cocoa. Williams Sonoma has a great recipe called Old-Fashioned Hot Cocoa. It is so good and as you can see by the recipe below it is intended for a child to make, so you know it is kid approved. Also, I suggest the whipped cream topping.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mini marshmallows or whipped cream for serving


Directions:
-Warm the milk. Before you start, be sure an adult is nearby to help.
-In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the milk until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat.
-Blend the cocoa
-Put the cocoa, sugar and vanilla in a mug and stir to combine. Add 1 tablespoon of the hot milk to the cocoa mixture and stir until it is smooth with no visible lumps.
-Pour the remaining hot milk into the mug.
-Stir well, top with the marshmallows or whipped cream, and serve immediately. Serves 1. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Sweet Treats, by Carolyn Beth Weil (Simon & Schuster, 2006).


3. Cozy Blankets. The change of weather equals some great snuggle time on the couch. I found this perfect snugly blanket from Pottery Barn. The Sweater Knit throw. A sweater and a blanket rolled into one? What sounds more perfect?






4. Fall Shoes. There are some amazing shoes this season. What I love best about fall shoes are boots. I particularly love the riding boot look. I found some Frye boots that are gorgeous (and waaayyy out of my price range). They would be the perfect addition to any fall wardrobe and the Bordeaux color is beautiful. Nordstrom online has a great lookbook on Frye boots, check it out; if only to dream.

5. Change of weather. For many Phoenicians the fall means 80 degree days and chilly nights. For me, the change of weather means being outside. Enjoying my backyard again, drinking coffee in the morning on my patio and hitting the mountain trails. My favorite trail is the summit at Piestewa Peak. It is the best work out and the best view. Try it, if you haven't. It very difficult but very rewarding.

I wish you all a wonderful new season full of balance and new challenges. What are your favorite things to do for Autumn?


No comments: